Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum is an award-winning sports museum of international importance. Tours of the grounds are run on a daily basis outside of the tournament period.
We are recruiting additional Museum Tour Assistants on a casual engagement basis to assist with our busy summer rota. Tour Assistants help with Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum’s award-winning tours of the Grounds by greeting visitors, assisting those with mobility requirements and ensuring that Tour visitors have a safe and enjoyable visit. We are looking for enthusiastic, welcoming, professional and courteous individuals to make sure our visitors have the best possible experience.
We would like to recruit immediate starters who are available to work until 27 June. We will also be offering work from 15 July to the end of September, in due course. The work is on a temporary and flexible basis, with normally a maximum of 3 days per week. Working days vary between four and six hours.
For further information about the job, please see below.
The All England Lawn Tennis Club (Championships) Limited is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applicants from all sections of the community. Appointments are made on merit.
To assist the guide on the tours of the Grounds:
• Deal with members of the public in a friendly, helpful and polite manner with patience and understanding for those who do not have English as their first language.
• Ensure that the group keeps together and that visitors do not go where they are not allowed to go.
• Follow instructions from the guide in the event of an emergency.
• Provide assistance when there are disabled visitors on the tour who may need to take lifts between floors or a slightly alternative route.
• Help those in wheelchairs who are visiting alone.
• Strive to make people’s visits as enjoyable as possible.
• Take small groups to Centre Court to give information and answer questions.
• Provide information assistance at peak times in the shop by explaining to visitors where the tour departs from and where the various facilities relating to their visit are to be found.
• At peak times talk to people in the queue about the tour and answer any queries before they reach the till.
• Assist shop staff at peak times by handing over the audio-guide and explaining its use.
• To accurately answer telephone enquiries as required.
To apply, send your CV or application form and covering letter, as soon as possible to: Jill Homan, HR Department, The All England Lawn Tennis Club (Championships) Limited, Church Road, London, SW19 5AE. Or email email@example.com with the subject heading, Museum Tour Assistant (casual role). Applications will be assessed as they are received.
• Able to accompany a 90 minute walking tour of the grounds (in all weather conditions) which involves walking up many steps, at least twice daily.
• A confident and helpful manner.
• Experience in customer service.
• Good communication skills (in English), including the ability to express oneself clearly when dealing with visitors from overseas.
• Unfailingly polite.
• Ability to speak a foreign language would be advantageous but is not essential.
• An interest in Wimbledon and willingness to learn.
One day’s training will be provided for successful candidates; wheelchair assistance training will also need to be undertaken. Willingness to attend a one day’s emergency first aid course would be advantageous.
Hours vary from three to a maximum of seven a day. Days will start between 10am and 11am and finish as late as 5.30pm in the summer. Remuneration: £8.25 an hour paid for hours worked on a PAYE basis. Lunch is also normally provided on site on working days.